The Tiny house Blog

3 Types of Tiny Home Insurance

Updated on:
May 2, 2024
Types of Tiny Home Insurance

Image Source: Canva

You're certainly aware that your tiny home, whether on wheels or a permanent foundation, requires protection. But did you know there are three primary types of insurance for your tiny home that you should consider?

RV insurance, ideal for motorhomes or portable dwellings; mobile home insurance, offering specific coverage for your compact living space and possessions; and customized auto insurance, tailored for converted vans and schoolies.

Each offers unique protections, but which one suits your situation best? Let's dive deeper so you can make an informed decision.

RV Insurance

Exploring RV insurance, it's crucial to understand that this type of coverage is specifically designed for motorhomes and other recreational vehicles, providing you with essential protection against potential risks and damages. Your RV isn't just a car; it's also a home. Therefore, it needs a unique kind of insurance that standard auto policies don't provide.

RV insurance isn't just one-size-fits-all. It's customizable to your specific needs. You can choose coverage options including detailed, collision, liability, uninsured or underinsured motorist, and more. Detailed coverage protects you against non-collision related incidents like fire, theft, or vandalism. Collision covers damages from accidents with other vehicles or objects. Liability protects you if you're responsible for causing property damage or bodily injury to others. Uninsured or underinsured motorist coverage pays for damage caused by drivers who don't have enough insurance.

You could also opt for additional coverage such as vacation liability, roadside assistance, emergency expense coverage, and more. Each of these coverages provides specific protection that can give you peace of mind while you're on the road. It's important to talk with an insurance professional to understand your coverage options and create a policy that fits your lifestyle and budget.

Mobile Home and Park Model Insurance

When it pertains to safeguarding your mobile home or park model, selecting the appropriate insurance policy is crucial, as it can provide extensive coverage against a variety of risks and damages. Just like traditional home insurance, these policies protect your investment from unforeseen circumstances such as fires, theft, and natural disasters.

The coverage typically includes the physical structure of your home, your personal belongings, and liability in case someone is injured on your property. Yet, the specifics can vary between providers, so it's vital that you carefully review any policy you're contemplating.

An exclusive feature of mobile home insurance is trip collision coverage. This safeguards your home while it's being moved, a risk unique to mobile homes. If your home is situated in a park, you may want to explore park model insurance. This form of insurance often includes additional coverage for detached structures like sheds or garages.

Lastly, bear in mind that insurance costs can depend on factors like the age and value of your home, its location, and the coverage limits you choose. Always compare quotes from different providers to make sure you're getting the best deal for your needs.

Image Source: Canva

Van Conversions and Schoolies

For those who've transformed vans or school buses into cozy, mobile living spaces, insuring your van conversion or 'schoolie' is just as important as any other home. The unpredictability of the road necessitates specific coverage. You'll need insurance that protects against both automotive and home-related incidents.

Two insurance types come to mind: RV insurance and auto insurance that allows for customization. The former, RV insurance, is designed for vehicles used as living quarters. This policy typically covers your vehicle in the event of an accident, theft, or damage. It also provides liability coverage should someone get hurt in or around your van or schoolie.

Auto insurance that allows for customization, conversely, is a more specific policy. It's designed to cover converted vehicles and usually includes coverage for the upgrades you've made to your van or bus. This policy could potentially cover your custom interior, appliances, and any installed utilities.


So, when it comes to safeguarding your mini abode, you've got three prime insurance options.

You can opt for RV insurance for motorhomes, mobile home and park model insurance for stationary tiny homes, or RV and auto insurance for van conversions and schoolies.

Each type offers unique coverage to protect against various risks.

Don't overlook this essential step - select the right insurance to guarantee your tiny home, and the lifestyle it supports, stays secure.

Did you enjoy this post and find value in it? Share it with your friends with the links below!

Need more info? Get

By submitting your email, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms

Subscribe to get the latest news

This is a new way to communicate faster than any communication platforms

Thank you!
Your submission has been received! Check your inbox for an email from with more info!
Oops! Something went wrong while submitting the form. Please try again or email us at Thanks!
Want all the latest tiny house inspo and news?

Get free resources, updates, tips & tricks, and special offers by joining the Tiny House Plan Newsletter.

No items found.

Frequently Asked Questions

Find answers — straight from the author — for the most common questions about this article.

Don't see your question here? Contact us!
No items found.

Join The Tiny House Community

Occasionally: Community Events, DIY Tips and Tricks, Tiny House Guides
Never: Junk or Spam and we don't sell or misuse your email.
Welcome to the fam! We're excited to have you join the community.
Oops! Something went wrong while submitting the form. Please try again or use the form below.